Indonesia hit by second powerful earthquake in one day as death toll rises to 47.
A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Indonesia's western Sumatra island late on Saturday, the US Geological Survey said. The quake followed a powerful 7.7 magnitude quake that hit the country's eastern Flores island earlier the same day, leaving at least 47 people dead and several others trapped beneath collapsed buildings.
Rescuers combed through debris for survivors on Saturday after a powerful earthquake struck off Indonesia's eastern Flores island, killing at least 47 people, according to disaster officials.
The national disaster management agency (BNPB) raised the death toll from 40 late Saturday, and rescue official Fathur Rahman said 50 people were injured in the 7.7-magnitude quake.
Suharyanto, who leads the BNPB, said earlier that people were trapped in several buildings.
"These will be the initial targets of the disaster response teams," said Suharyanto, who like many Indonesians uses one name.
- FRANCE24
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Grace A Comment!